Sorry, the participation module is currently under maintenance. We will be done soon. Please try again later.
Your partnership powers our ability to swiftly aid affected communities, safeguard the most vulnerable during crises. Supporting the Fiji Red Cross Society means impacting thousands within the communities we serve.
(Note: all amounts are in Fijian Dollars)
Fiji Red Cross Society Urges General Public to Prepare
Fiji Red Cross Society is urging the general public to prepare for the possibility of a tropical cyclone developing in Fiji waters. The Fiji Meteorological Service has issued a heavy rain alert for Vanua Levu, Taveuni, and nearby smaller islands, the Lau and Lomaiviti Group, and a strong wind warning for the rest of Fiji.
The Fiji Red Cross Society is particularly concerned about the following groups of people:
- People living in low-lying areas or near rivers and streams
- People living in poorly constructed homes
- People with disabilities or special needs
- Elderly people and young children
We urge everyone to take the following precautions:
- Be aware of the latest weather conditions and warnings.
- Have a plan for what you will do if a tropical cyclone occurs.
- Secure your home and property.
- Stock up on food, water, and other essential supplies.
- Have a plan for how you will communicate with your family and friends during a tropical cyclone.
- If you live in a low-lying area or near rivers and streams, be prepared to evacuate to higher ground.
If you need assistance or would like more information on flood safety, please contact Police on 917 or NFA on 910.
Here are some additional tips for preparing for a tropical cyclone:
- While it is safe, trim trees and shrubs around your home to reduce the risk of branches falling and damaging your property.
- Clear gutters and drains to prevent flooding.
- Secure loose objects around your property.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and torch in case of power outages.
- Keep your mobile phone charged and have a list of important emergency numbers handy.
- Keep listening to the radio for updates.
Please stay safe and follow the advice of the National Disaster Management Office, Fiji Meteorological Service and Fiji Red Cross Society.
For more information contact our helpdesk on email@example.com
For more media inquiries, please contact:
About Fiji Red Cross Society
The Fiji Red Cross Society is a humanitarian organization dedicated to serving vulnerable communities in Fiji. With a strong presence nationwide, the Society provides emergency response, disaster management, health and first aid training, community outreach, and other essential services. Through its commitment to humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality, the Fiji Red Cross Society strives to alleviate suffering and promote the well-being of those in need.
Fiji Red Cross Society; Celebrating 50 Years of Humanitarian Service